Membership & Dues

When an employee is hired by an employer that has a collective agreement with Local 40, that employee should complete an application for union membership (since the Local by contract represents that employee, and the agreement states that anyone working under the agreement shall become a mmber). In addition, any worker coming under the IBEW's jurisdiction who is of good character and not less than 16 years old can make an application for membership, provided that worker passes an examination by the executive board when required. 

Once the application is completed, the next step for full membership is to perform the obligation, or "swearing in".


Types of Membership

There are two types of membership in the IBEW, "A" and "BA."

“A” Member: Pay dues to the International Office which in turn will entitle a retired member benefits from the Pension Benefit Fund, including upon the death of said “A” member, a death benefit shall be payable in accordance with the IBEW Constitution, Article XI (Pension Benefit Fund).

All members who work for contractors in the construction branch of the electrical industry, both inside and outside, and who work for contractors who perform maintenance work, and International Officers or Representatives of the IBEW must maintain "A" membership.

All other admitted members to the IBEW are "BA" members.

“BA” Member: This type of membership pays dues to the International Office and the local union, but does not receives benefits from the International Office, and will only receive benefits from the local union and/or thier employer based on the CBA they work under. 

Members who wish to travel into other jurisdictions to work can change their membership to an "A" membership by designating a beneficiary (Contact the hall to update, or complete your beneficary form) for their death benefit and pension. (The dues for "A" members are higher than "BA" members, because "A" membership dues include a death benefit and pension.)

 A member who desires to change from “BA” to “A” has the option of completing the necessary form and are required to pay $2 for the Pension Benefit Fund admission fee. 
The member should contact the Local and request an application form.  

When applicable, the member shall pay any difference between the “BA” and “A” admission fees provided in the bylaws of the local union. The member must pay the “A” dues for the month in which the transfer is effective. 

For example, if transfering to “A” membership occurs in June, the member must pay “A” dues for that month. The transfer will not occur until the first month of per capita is paid.
Once approved and all money is in order, the financial secretary shall assign an “A” card number.
“A” and “BA” members may transfer from one type of membership to another in accordance with the bylaws of Local 40, but must retain such changed membership for not less than 12 consecutive months, except when change is required because of transferring to a different type of trade classification.

Any “A” member eligible for “BA” membership who wants to change from “A” to “BA” should be fully informed of the loss of death and pension benefits that will result from this change. If the member still desires to change, they must complete Form 134, Application for Transfer of Membership from “A” to “BA” and begin paying dues as a “BA” member. 
The financial secretary of the Local 40 shall assign a “BA” card number to replace the old “A” card number and note the change on the member’s “BA” dues receipt.

Deliquency & Dropped Status

 When a member is more than three months in arrears, the IBEW will suspend that member. (Any member in arrears for three months, but less than six months, may apply for reinstatement.) A member who is six months behind on dues may be dropped from the membership. If you are employed while in dropped status, or begin employment while in dropped status, you are in violation of the agreement. A letter may be issued to your employer stating your situation, and you may be suspended from work, until you are able to get current with your dues. If you forsee an issue being able to pay your dues, please contact the hall, as we work our hardest to assist the members.

Traveling Card

The purpose of a "travel card" is to allow a member, particularly in the contstruction branch, to transfer membership from one local union to another. A paid-up dues receipt and clear identification in most other jurisdictions will be accepted as a "working card" when one is seeking work, unless the other Local requires you to actually transfer into their Local by means of a travel card. In any case, an IBEW member seeking work in another Local's jurisdiction must report to the Business Manager of that Local. A member must not work in the jurisdiction of another Local unless:

1) a travel card has been accepted
2) a working card (official paid-up dues receipt from the home Local's office) has been issued by the home Local and is on the member's person
3) permission of the First District VP has been obtained, or
4) it is a case in which Locals, by agreement or understanding, allow their members to work in each other's jurisdiction.

Regardless of traveling into Local 40's jurisdiction or out of it, you will need an official travel letter from your home local addressed to the Local you are visiting into dated within 90 days of traveling into the Local and DUES MUST BE CURRENT.

Working Dues

Monthly dues from members make it possible for the Local to operate. The Local's scope of operation and its effectiveness are dependent on and limited to its available funds. The monthly dues payment is divided into two parts: the Local's portion, which is retained by Local 40, and the International per capita, which is set by and remitted to the International Secretary-Treasurer of the IBEW. Members are responsible for payment of their dues. The actual amount for your dues will vary depending on your membership type, hourly rate, and the number of days worked per month. Example, if you worked more than 5 days in a month, your dues would be calcualted at the full working dues rate of 2% of straight time wages. However, if you worked less than 5 days in the month, your working dues would be calculated at the partial working dues rate of .575% of straight time wages. And if you did not work at all in the month, your working dues would be calculated at the non-working dues rate of .25% of straight time wages                            

(Currently, BA membership International per capita is set at $19 month; going to $20/month in January 2020. A membership is an additional $18 month; going to $19/month in January 2019)   (Article IX of the IBEW Constitution)

 Non-Working Dues

If you are laid-off, to maintain your membership in the IBEW, you are required to pay the International per capita portion of your dues to the Local, which remits that amount to the International Secretary-Treasurer of the IBEW. In addition to your International per capitas, you have non-working  dues with the local. If you worked less than 5 days in the month, your working dues are calculated at the partial working dues rate of .575% of straight time wages. If you did not work at all in the month, your working dues are calculated at the non-working dues rate of .25% of straight time wages. For more information on working versus non-working dues, please contact the hall.

Dues Calculation

Working 6 days or more in a month(Full Dues - 2%)

Hourly Rate X 173.33 (straight time hours in a month) X 2% + I.O.

Working 1 - 5 days in a month (Partial Dues - .575%)

Hourly Rate X 173.33 X .575% + I.O.

Unemployed or not working in the industry (Non-working Dues - .25%)

Hourly Rate X 173.33 X .25% + I.O.


173.33 is the general average of straight time hours in a month.

I.O. is the International Office per capita 

Each calculation is for one month of dues. Multiply by 3 to calculate the entire quarter